Thursday, January 14, 2016

Golden Beach

As we move into the coldest month of winter, I can't help but think about the summer and warmer weather. I also think of my 2015 summer vacation, when my family and I enjoyed a warm day on the beach, swimming in Lake Huron.

Because there are still several months before we can enjoy beach weather, the only thing I can do is reach for a beer and lose myself in warm thoughts.

That's not to say I drank myself into a stupor. I merely drank a session ale whose name brought me to thoughts of Sauble Beach.

Sawdust City Brewing Company became my favourite Ontario brewery in 2015, with its wide variety of standard and seasonal ales. I visited the brewery on my summer vacation and was blown away. And, as I begin a new year, my love for this Gravenhurst brewery will surely grow because I joined their beer club and will have their amazing brew arrive on my doorstep, every month, starting in February.

In the meantime, let's take a look at their pale ale.
Golden Beach Pale Ale (4.5% ABV)
Sawdust City Brewing Company
Gravenhurst ON
Appearance: a murky, wheaty, golden-yellow with a dense, creamy, off-white head that leaves a thick cap.

Nose: honeydew mellon, pineapple, with a pine-resin overtone that is mixed with grapefruit rind.

Palate: flinty grapefruit and lychee headline the mouth and carry through to a bitter, mineral finish.

Overall impression: the low alcohol is a strong contrast to the bold flavours of this session ale. On a cold winter's day, I was transported to the warmth of last summer on that beach. I was reminded that I could drink this ale year-round, which I would gladly do.

Beer O'Clock rating: 4

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment