Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My Beer Destiny

Some of you may recall that I love stout ales; in particular, milk stout.

My favourite beer of all time is one that is really hard to find. In fact, I haven't seen it anywhere above the Mason-Dixon Line. But, in my humble opinion, it is the best. Beer. Ever.

Or, possibly, was.

Since I had The Duck Rabbit Milk Stout, I have been in search of a milk stout to either match or rival that fine beverage.

This weekend, I think I've found it.
The Chocolate Manifesto
Triple Chocolate Milk Stout (10% ABV)
Flying Monkeys Craft Brewing
Barrie, ON
Beer O'Clock rating: 5
Appearance: deep walnut with a creamy, deep-taupe head that settles to a thin cap.

Nose: an incredible, intense chocolate, like a malted milkshake, with a hint of sweet chocolate syrup.

Palate: rich, malted chocolate and a light touch of licorice. A full finish with a definite taste of alcohol that does not overpower the other flavours.

Overall impression: I am in love! This is an incredible, creamy, chocolate treat. Where I felt I could eat chocolate-chip cookies and wash them down with The Duck Rabbit, this creamy-smooth stout has the chocolate-chip cookies in the milk.

Brewed with chocolate nibs, cacao powder, and chocolate malt, this is a decadent treat. It's rich without being sickeningly rich; sweet without being cloyingly sweet; and high in alcohol without being boozy. It's well-balanced.

It's perfect.

Because it comes in a 750ml bottle, it's also perfect for sharing, especially at this time of year.

This is a seasonal that I hope the folks at Flying Monkeys brings back, and brings back often. With so few truly exceptional milk stouts, it would be a shame to make people search.

Cheers! And Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment