Thursday, February 19, 2015

Tempest in a Beer Bottle

The first time I tried Tempest Imperial Stout, more than a year ago, I thought it was a boozy ale that was overpowering in flavour. When I saw that there was a year added to the label, I figured that it was meant to be laid down, not consumed right away. Because I had purchased two bottles, that's exactly what I did. I figured that this strong stout needed some time to settle down.
I was right.
Tempest Imperial Stout, 2013 (9% ABV)
Amsterdam Brewing Company
Toronto ON
Appearance: dark walnut with a taupe head that quickly settles to a dense lace or thin cap.

Nose: licorice and prunes.

Palate: burnt malt and charred wood; coffee and alcohol come through in the finish.

Overall impression: this stormy brew still packs a punch and still needs more time to settle down. The flavours come together and make its name appropriate—this is a tempest, for sure.

But I enjoyed it more than I remember from my first bottle, and I only wish I had another 2013 to store in my beer/wine cellar. I think 2018 would be a good year to try it again.

If you have any, hang onto it, unless you like intense, unbridled flavours and strong alcohol.

Beer O'Clock rating: 3.5 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment