Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Best Beer the Belgians Never Made

My hiatus is over. Time to catch up.

Over the Christmas holiday, I had the pleasure of trying a Belgian-style tripel from a Québec microbrewery. Until this year, I wasn't a fan of Belgian beers. This selection makes me change my mind.

Even though it isn't from Belgium.
Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus Extra Strong Beer
Microbrasserie Charlevoix
Baie-St-Paul, QC
Broue Ha Ha: $9.95, 750ml; 10% ABV
Colour: bright, clear, golden honey-amber; massive, foamy-white head

Nose: strong, ripe fruit, mostly pear with hints of pineapple.

Palate: honeydew, pear, cedar.

Finish: heady and long.

Overall impression: this is a beer for celebrations. It comes in a champagne-style bottle and the bubbles dance in the light. And at 10%, you don't want to drink this beer alone.

Being a seasonal, it may be gone, but I'd check anyway. Beer like this is meant to cherish.

My rating: 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment