Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Bit of the Devil's Horn

I'm sure that after a long day, flogging the wretched in the fiery bowels of Hell, Satan needs a good, cold brew.

In my search for the perfect IPA, I found myself back at a growing favourite, Dieu du Ciel!

(After today's review, I'm dropping the exclamation mark from the brewery's name.)

Corne du diable (The Devil's Horn; 6.5% ABV)
Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
St-Jérôme, QC
Beer O'Clock rating: 3.5

Appearance: deep copper with a foamy, beige head. When I opened the bottle, which had been sitting in my cellar for a couple of weeks, the foam overflowed (wrath of Lucifer?).

Nose: soap, mild citrus, and honey.

Palate: oranges, toffee, with good hops that didn't overpower (surprisingly); there is almost a sweet finish that ends with the alcohol coming through.

Overall impression: this is a good IPA for when you simply want to enjoy a pint and not work for it. Corne du diable is well-balanced in body, though I didn't care for the flavour of alcohol at the end. For me, the finish could have used a little more flavour.

But I would definitely drink more and I do recommend it. I certainly wouldn't want to mess with The Devil.

My quest for the best IPA continues. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment