Tuesday, April 23, 2013

On An IPA Kick

Lately, I've been on the hunt for some great India Pale Ales, and even the notion of sampling a variety of IPAs could keep me going forever. There are just so many of them.

I thought I would focus on some IPAs that are crafted by some small or obscure microbreweries and then see where my search would take me. And, by me, I mean us.

Ryan Bellerive, owner of Bières du Monde in Aylmer, heard of my quest for a great IPA (when I told him), he quickly directed me to a display in his store and told me that this particular IPA was his favourite. So what better way to start my quest?

IPA Américaine (7% ABV)
Microbrasserie Pit Caribou
Anse-à-Beaufils, QC
Beer O'Clock rating: 4

Appearance: a murky, golden amber with a dense, whitish head that lingers.

Nose: grapefruit and orange, with a tinge of candied fruit.

Palate: bold grapefruit and massive hops that culminate in an intense finish.

Overall impression: this is a big-league IPA from a small brewery just south of Percé. At 77 IBUs, there is lots of bitterness, but the fruit and alcohol blend nicely. That said, I would have liked to have tasted a little more grapefruit and a little less bitterness.

The was a very nice IPA to start my journey. Thanks for the recommendation, Ryan!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment