Friday, June 17, 2016

The Princess Wears Girlpants

For the past five months, I've been living the beer-swilling good life. Since February, I have had beer delivered to my door, in quantities of 12 to 14 tall cans.

To my door, folks!

The Brew Box Company, an Ontario-wide beer-delivery service, collaborates with some of our province's fine breweries to bring a mixed box of suds each month. You can select from breweries like Beau's, Collingwood, Silversmith, or a mix of all of them. I chose one of my favourite breweries from last year, Sawdust City.

In addition to the cans of beer, you receive a beer glass, free tickets to beer events, and tasting cards for the brews that are securely packed in the case. It's a pretty good deal.

But after five months, I've decided to end the beer-of-the-month-styled club. Not because I didn't like the service: it was great. I mean, who doesn't like great beer delivered to your door? Not because I've grown bored with my brewery selection: I really have come to think of Sawdust City as one of Ontario's best breweries.

No, after five months, I've missed going to my local LCBO and trying new breweries. I've missed checking out the latest offerings at the breweries in Ottawa. And, I'm accumulating a lot of beer in my basement.

I don't drink a lot of beer at home, it seems.

So, to cap off the end to my Brew Box club membership, I'm going to review my favourite of all the Sawdust City ales. It's one that I tried, when I visited the Muskoka-region brewery, last summer, but was unable to bring any home because they were sold out of cans.

I'm savouring the few that they sent me.
The Princess Wears Girlpants (9% ABV)
Sawdust City Brewing Company
Gravenhurst ON
Appearance: slightly unfiltered, golden-yellow, with a foamy-white head that pours thick and settles to a solid, near-creamy cap. There is lots of effervescence during the pour.

Nose: slightly floral and tropical, with a mix of pineapple, tangerine, and a kiss of hops.

Palate: flint and white pepper, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. There's an acidic finish where the alcohol meets a slight banana flavour (yes, I'm using slight a lot: don't know why). 

Overall impression: there is so much going on with this ale. There is a complexity of aromas and flavours that makes me want to drink more and more. Of course, with the high alcohol content, one can per sitting is enough for me.

This is a unique Belgian-style golden ale that can be hard to track down, but if you can find it, pick it up. It's a keeper. I'm just sad that I didn't receive more of these cans in my Brew Box.

In Ottawa, it can be found sometimes at The Arrow & Loon Pub.

Beer O'Clock rating: 4

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment