Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sledgehammer Stout

I found a treasure in my basement today. I found a beer that I had all but forgotten I had.

And on a vicious winter's day, with a ton of snow falling on our city, I felt it was high time I tried this beer.
World Wide Stout (18% ABV)
Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Milton DE, U.S.A.
Beer O'Clock rating: 4
Colour: deep, walnut brown with a dark brown head that dissipated like cola in a glass.

Nose: chocolate, malt.

Palate: raisins, dates, toffee, and alcohol that meld into a black licorice finish with bold hops.

Overall impression: the bottle states, "A very dark beer brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley." It should also say "And a shitload of alcohol." But although the ABV is mind-blowing, the alcohol taste isn't. The dried fruit, burnt sweetness of toffee, and licorice all marry well and deliver massive flavour.

Flavour that hits you like a sledgehammer.

This is a special stout that should be shared with friends. I regret that I did not do that when I drank mine, but I will seek more out the next time I'm in the States and will share then.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment