Monday, June 17, 2013

You Won't Want to Dump This

Remember the days of Prohibition? Neither do I.

But I do remember studying about how contraband liquor, when confiscated, would be cracked open (when in barrels) and poured down the gutters. The streets would be awash in rivers of gushing alcohol.

It's enough to make a man weep.

This weekend, I finally tried a bottle of an American IPA that I have been hanging onto for months, meaning to have it with the other IPAs that I craved to try. I still have hankerings for a hoppy, bitter brew (usually, around 2:00 in the afternoon), and so with Father's Day upon me, I thought I'd treat myself.
L'interdite American IPA (6.5% ABV)
Brasseurs du Monde
Saint-Hyacinthe, QC
Beer O'Clock rating: 3
Appearance: a cloudy, rusty orange with a creamy, taupe head that retains a thin cap on the top of the beer for most of the pint.

Nose: a floral malt with hints of orange.

Palate: bitter malts, citrus, spice, and hops that lead to an unsweetened, caramel finish. The more I drank, the more the alcohol came out in the finish.

Overall impression: this is a serious IPA; it's not easy-drinking, but it's a good ale to sit back with and enjoy. I found that it was a bit cloying, which makes for a rich beverage, opposed to the clean, crisp flavours that I prefer in an IPA.

While I would drink this ale again, I think I'd enjoy it more on a cold winter's day, rather than a hot summer's afternoon.

But I wouldn't prohibit you from trying it.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment